Saturday, February 23, 2008

Berryz Koubou wins again with Dschinghis Khan!

I realize that I'm behind on the times, but I got a little caught up with Kawaiirrhea's "Hello! Project no Puzzle desu yo." on ★MINI MONI MANIA★. But I finished the puzzle and I felt very accomplished when it was done. It's so much fun! :)

So, to get back to my blogging, I'm here to finally get my word in on Berryz Koubou's new single, Dschinghis Khan. Before I go into my review, I just need to give mad props to Berryz for being so fabulous. There were a lot of doubters when this single was announced (with many people bashing it before hearing or seeing anything other than the title), but with the release of this PV I've definitely heard many more positive reviews than negative ones. So, with that out of the way, onto my thoughts!

When I first heard about this single, I had never heard the original song. However, at some point, I saw a link to the original PV with Berryz audio overlayed. I must say that the video was interesting to say the least. I wasn't too sure about the single, and decided to give it time and wait for the PV.

So I did, and I must say I was not disappointed. While it's not my favourite Berryz single (I'm not actually sure what would qualify as my favourite... I'm going to have to break those down much like I did with Morning Musume at some point), it's cute.

The song itself is fun and I've found it constantly gets stuck in my head. I randomly start humming or singing it at the office. It's earned me some strange looks from my co-workers, but they all know of my love for J-pop (I get my yesasia deliveries sent to work) so it's not a problem.

I find myself a little annoyed take Risako gets 2 solo lines when there are a total of 4 solo lines in the song. But what can you do? We all know that the management loves her. The song is at an amazingly high-pitch. I can sing fairly high, but I need to go into falsetto singing this one at parts to spare myself and those around me. You can definitely feel the Dance Man influence in this song. During all the "Ooh, ha" parts, I always want to go double time like in Koi no Dance Site.

Now for the PV, I absolutely adore this PV. Normally, I wouldn't like costumes like this, but they just fit the mood of everything so well. The girls all look lovely in this PV, and I have to say that for the second PV in a row, Chinami has just knocked me off my feet. I'm pretty sure I mentioned at some point that I like her hair shorter, but even though it's growing longer now, I think she looks gorgeous in this PV.

I love the hallway scenes. The girls are so cute as they mess around. I've read that lots of people have not been enjoying Miya in this PV. I'd have to agree that she's the most, shall we say subdued, of the girls in this PV come the hallway scenes (I think she's great in the dance scenes) - though I do enjoy her opening moment, and her bits with the glasses and tamborine. But in general, I find that Miya is at her silliest when the others are around her. Just watch any of the behind the scenes or making of videos. But when it's just her alone, she seems a little uncomfortable, at least in regards to being silly.

What really made this PV for me was Chinami. In addition to her looking absolutely amazing, her hallway scene at the 2:17-2:20 point was just so GOLD! Who wouldn't love that? Even if the rest of the PV had sucked (which it didn't) I think those few seconds of Chinami would have saved it for me. It was simply that great.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

My one criticism of this PV would be that at some points during the dance shots, Risako looks as though she's losing interest. The other girls all look like they're having the time of their lives (I mean, this song is just so hyper, and the pitch is so high, it can't help but give you a high... It's like musical crack), while Risako has this blah look on her face. It's not a constant blah look... She does get into it at times, but at those blah moments, she kinda brings the mood down for me.

So there we have it. Berryz Koubou wins with another fabulous release. At this point, they have yet to release a single that I have failed to enjoy, so 16 for 16 is a pretty good statistic, if you ask me. ^_^

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my doubts about a cover for another song, but "Khan" is a scream. How can you not like those dozens of little yellow-clad kids getting their wota on with the Berryz? The song itself is pure adrenaline, just in time for the Berryz-C-ute battle concert in April.

radicalpatriot.vox.com

maiZe said...

@radicalipton: "The song itself is pure adrenaline" - I completely agree. I think that's why I'm not put off by the insanely high pitch of this song. Instead, I find it adds to the fun that this song projects.

"just in time for the Berryz-C-ute battle concert in April." - I sooooo can't wait for that concert! :D

Anonymous said...

I've never been a big fan of Chinami, I was never a big fan of her short hair, lol por excuse I know, but in this PV she's really something! And her hallway scenes are by far my favourites, I really hope that a version of the PV comes out just of the hallway sections.