Wednesday, February 06, 2008

All Morning Musume singles ranking - Part 2 of 3

On to part 2 of my singles ranking. Here I shall list Morning Musumes singles from #28 up to #15.

I've come to realize that it's hard to think of ways to describe what you like about a single without being completely repetitive, or just copping out and saying "I just like it. I can't explain it..." I'm doing my darndest to keep my reasoning and writing varied so as not to get too boring (which is why I'm adding my little stories along the way, 'cause those are all individual to the singles :D).

So, to continue trudging along, here are my MM singles #28-15!

28. Daite Hold On Me!
I love the "Shake it Do it Do it"'s. I love the chorus. And for some reason, I really love the dance during the chorus. It really isn't much of anything. I think my love of the chorus and dance is due to the girls singing and dancing to it during one of the Hello! Morning karaoke episodes.

27. Love Machine
And here is where MM singles started getting more energetic. My favourite Ishiguro Aya moment is within this PV. Who doesn't love the "Nice Body" moment? XD The song and dance is catchy and fun. If I don't fully get up and dance along when I'm watching an H!P or MM concert, I at least raise my arms and do the movements along with them.

26. Happy Summer Wedding
I used to be absolutely obsessed with this song. I think this was the first MM song that I fully memorized the lyrics to. It's cute, it's fun, and man can it ever get stuck in your head. However, I remember when I watched a live performance of this single (this was a little after I had gotten into MM, and was going back to see things released before I started listening), there was one girl who I just couldn't identify. My brother exasperatedly told me that it was Hitomi... >_< In my defense, I say she looked so different back in those early days just after joining MM.

25. Yuujou ~Kokoro no Busu ni wa Naranee!~ - Otome Gumi
This is definitely a song that can get stuck in your head. It's a very energetic song that I can't help but sing along to. However, there are too many Sayu and Rika lines, and too few Miki and Mako lines.

24. Renai Revolution 21
This was either the first or second MM PV I saw (which also means the first or second single I heard - I can't actually remember if it was this or The Peace!). I actually got into MM just around the time of 5th gen joining, but this and The Peace! were the first PVs my brother got a hold of. The Golden Age of MM is definitely the way to be introduced to MM and H!P. The PV is great, I love the dance, the outfits, and the song is just so much fun. Unfortunately, I think the reason this song is so far down on my list is that I listened to it too much, and eventually I hit my Love Revolution limit.

23. Mr. Moonlight ~Ai no Big Band~
Ahh... Yossy's breakout song. I really love this song mainly because this was where you first get to hear the wonderful quality that Hitomi's voice possesses. I also like how it's not your normal H!P song in that it's of the swing genre, which was a contrast to what MM had been releasing the past few singles prior to this one. The one downfall for me was that this was the Gokkies debut single, and only one of them gets a solo line (Risa in the official single, and then varied depending on which live you watched). Otherwise, 5th gen was really just in the background.

22. The Peace!
I used to dance to this song all the time. During my first year of university, my dorm mates would come into my room and see me doing the dance, and dubbed "The Peace!" "The Happy Hitler Song" due to the arm movements during "HO~ hora yukouze". >_< Anyway, this was Rika's breakout song, and part of the reason why I love her so much. IMO, she had the coolest hat in the PV, and she was just so cute in the talk break, I loved her getting attacked by the other members. :) However, much like Renai Revolution, I think it got a bit overplayed and thus is lower in my overall ranking.

21. As For One Day
I love the instrumental in this song. The piano in the intro is very dramatic. Through the song, I like the sound of the the twangy-sounding stringed instrument (I'm not sure what it is). The line distribution is nice. We finally got to hear some quality solo lines from the Gokkies in this single (I don't count the lines from Hyokkori Hyoutan-jima as their normal voices - it's a weird sounding song). I also like the strong beat in this single. At moments, I get the feel of an old-school Ace of Base single.

20. Morning Coffee
Morning Coffee is a very simple song. It's got a simple melody, very simplistic drum line and very light guitar and piano. This is another example of my loving the harmonies. Now that I think about it though, I may have unfairly ranked Furusato because I do have to say that I'm not a big fan of the vocal quality in the original release of this single. Seeing as this was MM's first official release, you can hear that the girls' vocal control isn't quite there yet. I actually really enjoy the 2002 version of this song, which was the c/w for Souda! We're Alive. And I must say it's a freaking boring PV.

19. Koi no Dance Site
I find almost everything absolutely fantastic about this song. It's fun, the dance is enjoyable, it can easily get stuck in your head, and best of all: "SEXY BEAM!!!" Mari is gold in this single.

18. Mikan
This is a nice, upbeat, feel good song. I like the mix of instruments and the beat in this single. No story to go with this single. The baby pics in the PV are cute, but otherwise, nothing spectacular in the PV. It's simply a great song that can bring up your mood, because "Life is one time!"

17. Ambitious! Tashitenki de Ii Jan
"HEY HEY! Happy no mainichi!" Another fun, upbeat song. This one gets me bouncing in my seat every time. For some reason, I somehow missed the release of this single much like Hyokkori Hyoutanjima, but I obviously didn't have the same reaction to it once I became aware of its existence. I always forget that Mako-chan and Konkon were still part of MM in this single, but I think that's mainly because I discovered this single sometime after Aruiteru was released. For some reason, I'm very tickled by the 16th note high hat interspersed throughout the song.

16. Onna ni Sachi Are
Upon re-listening to this single, I was reminded that I actually enjoy Junjun's voice from what I can gather thus far. Linlin on the other hand... Not so much.

15. Koko ni Iruzee!
Hmm... this section (#19-17 and #15) seems to be filled with the high-energy, bouncy, head-bobbing, dancey songs. The girls definitely rock it out in the PV in their plaid blazers and rough it out in their fatigues, dirt on their faces and all. This is the first single post-Maki, and I find it amusing that on PROJECThello.com (where I usually get my romanji lyrics), Takahashi's colour coded lyrics get switched from her original orange to Maki's red. XD Coincidence? I think not!

Well there you have it! The top 14 are left... You can figure out by process of elimination what my top 14 are, but can you guess the order? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surprised you would not have "Renai Revolution" and Mr. Moonlight" in your top 14, but you are on-point about both those excellent songs.

http://radicalpatriot.vox.com

maiZe said...

It's funny, but when I looked at the final ranking I just kept thinking it was so wrong to have such classic songs so far down on my list.
However, what I've come to realize is that my top 14 are the ones that I still randomly add to my playlists. I'll be touching upon this reasoning in my top 14 post. :)