Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Hanson concert!

A proper H!P update should be coming soon, since I'm fully expecting my yesasia shipment in any day now (I actually thought it'd be in on Monday, but it seems I was sorely mistaken)...

Anyway, I thought I'd post about the Hanson concert I went to this weekend, since I did mention that there would be random posts interspersed in this blog unrelated to H!P. Hanson wins in this regard! :) (Raptors posts will eventually come, as interesting things happen during the season.)

For those who still picture them with long hair from their Mmmbop days, a current photo.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
L-R: Issac, Zac, Taylor.

So, Hanson was in town this past Sunday and their concert was superb (as per usual). Pre-concert, they did the 1 mile walk that they've done at every tour stop to raise awareness for poverty and AIDS in Africa (today's show in Ottawa was the first stop with no walk, due to extremely cold weather conditions).

The devotion these guys have put into raising awareness for this cause that is so dear to them is truly inspirational. They have donated all sales of their single "The Great Divide" from iTunes to a hospital in South Africa that works with kids who are born with HIV/AIDS.

They also just recently returned from a trip to South Africa, joining up with TOMS shoes to do a shoe drop (more on that later). On their website, they recently posted a video showing them with their photographer giving a check for $15,000 to a local school. Their photographer posted on his blog the idea to sell some shirts he had recently ordered for $30 each, and any purchases would go to the school. He was hoping to raise a few hundred dollars, if anything. In 14 hours, he had raised $2000. So, they decided to see how much they could raise during the few days (I think it was 3 or 4) they had left in Africa. To help out, Hanson allowed their photographer to take a picture of them in one of the classrooms, and sell 10 limited editions of this photo (framed and matted, with the guys signing the back) for I think it was $750 each. They had a goal of $10,000 in mind, and surpassed it beyond their wildest imaginations with the $15,000 they raised.

At their concerts, along with their regular merchandise, they've been selling TOMS shoes. Basically, for every pair of TOMS that is purchased, another pair will go to a child in need. That was the reason for their recent trip to South Africa. They met up with TOMS to help give out some of the shoes to the children (this current shoe drop is giving 50,000 pairs to kids in Africa). So, of course, I had to get myself some TOMS (since I unfortunately had been unable to join them on the walk, though I really, really wanted to). Also got myself some other goodies:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

They're finally selling V-neck shirts, and I love the design, so I had to get one.

The performance was fabulous, as I've come to expect from Hanson. They're always energetic and entertaining. You can see on their faces that they have a passion for what they're doing. Zac on the drums is just soooo HAWTTTT, and Taylor on the piano...*melt* And Ike plays one mean guitar.

Only down sides: I was really hoping they would play "Georgia", but alas, my dream was denied. Also was hoping for a repeat of "Yearbook" live, but a no go to that as well. Oh well, at least I was able to make it to their previous acousitc show, where they played "Yearbook". I waited 10 years to hear that song live, and I wasn't disappointed! Oh... A few more down sides, but not Hanson-related so much as crowd related. 1. Someone FARTED!! It's a normal body function, but man, it's not nice in such close quarters when it's that ... shall we say fragrant, to put it nicely? >_< 2. A couple next to me kept making out. I mean, come on! OMG! Get a friggin room. No one needs to be seeing that.

Thus ends my Hanson post.

One final thought, H!P related: Berryz Koubou's new single wins!! After all the talk of C-ute's Tokaikko Junjou outselling all Berryz single sales ever, Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi goes and beats, Tokaikko, Mikan and all previous Berryz singles in it's first week! (well, not total sales of Tokaikko and Mikan in the first week, but it beat those two singles first week sales). So go Berryz!!! Omedeto Berryz!! :D However, it did fail to beat Buono!'s first week sales, but Buono!'s fabulous!!

No comments: